L'âme des couteaux
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Jeux, jouets et Lego : le deuxième à -50% (large sélection)
Voir le deal

Martin knives, une alternative à Bayley Knives

Martin knives, une alternative à Bayley Knives Empty Martin knives, une alternative à Bayley Knives

Message  Invité Sam 20 Nov 2010 - 15:00

Je remets mon post ici pour éviter qu'il soit noyé dans le post destiné au couteau de Bear Grylls.

Beaucoup plus raisonnable, ayant l'air mieux fini et plus confortable en main, mais dans le même style que Bayley Knives, vous avez les couteaux Martin Knives, des frères Martin.

Martin knives, une alternative à Bayley Knives 520a2010057

Martin knives, une alternative à Bayley Knives 81910030

Martin knives, une alternative à Bayley Knives 4242010012

Ces couteaux de survie sont disponibles en plusieurs aciers : 1095, O1, 440C, S30V, S35VN, ou damas, avec des lames de 4", un manche plus confortable car arrondi en micarta.
le prix de base commence à 220$, les options qui suivent font varier la note finale en restant raisonnable :

CPM S30V or S35VN - $45 (These steels are basically the same. We use which ever one that we can get in the right thickness.)
Damascus - Varies, but usually increases price around a $100
Cold Blue Finish - $10 (carbon steel only)
Parkeriized Finish - $20 (carbon steel only)
Baked on guncoat finish - $40 (Black, Army Green, Dark Earth).
Carbon steel metal hilt- $30
Brass metal hilt - $30
Nickel Silver metal hilt - $50
Stainless Steel metal hilt - $50 *(see note below)
Sawteeth and Wirebreaker spine - $20
Socket head screws in handle with lined thong hole - $10
Truss head screws in handle with lined thong hole - $15
Milled out tang and handle slabs with truss head screws to accommodate survival items - $50
Other colors of Micarta and G10 - $15-$30
Leather attachment including BCB firesteel with striker & EZELAP fine diamond hone - $45

Wood handles available - Call or email for pricing and availability.

Je cite l'historique de ce couteau :

* First, the BT developed out of a knife a customer of ours wanted. He wanted a knife like the British maker, Rob Bayley, makes and that Bear Grylls used to carry on the Man vs Wild TV show. I agreed to make him one, but with some design changes that I thought would make it a better knife. He posted it on a forum and since then we have been making a good many of them. I have not tried to market it or promote it, but many guys have found us and have purchased and are using it with great results.
* To keep the price down I offer the knife with an integral hilt - part of the Micarta slabs. But you can purchase it with various metal hilts as an option. The blade is 1 3/16" wide at its widest point, but remember that it is a handmade knife and there will be some slight variations. I cut the blanks out by hand and grind them to shape on a belt grinder. We do all of our own heat treating to make sure that we get it right. I believe the quality is in the heat treating process. You can make any knife look pretty, but performance is where the real quality is tested.
* The blade shape is very similar to the Bayley knife, which is just a clip point blade that many knives have. The clip point is a versatile blade shape favoring a more tactical approach. It has better penetrating ability and is plenty strong for batoning. I put a slight swedge grind on the BT "Special" that appeals to the military guys. I now put large thumb grooves in front of the hilt for better control.
* The balance point on the metal hilted knife is just behind the first pin. I grind out some metal in the middle of the handle tang to lessen the handle weight and put a hole all the way through and epoxy it on. I make the handle a little bigger than the Bayley knife for the American hand. I also put a crows beak on the butt to give it better control when doing light chopping. The grooved lines in the sides of the handle are for better gripping ability in wet conditions. I use Micarta in the base priced knife because it seems to be warmer to the hand, more like wood. It is also a very tough phenolic material that has proven itself over the years.
* The metal hilt goes on over the blade butting up against metal stops and is then soldered on. The hilt is also totally hand made for each knife.
* I like carbon steel like 1095HC or 01Tool for sharpness and toughness. They are more easily sharpened in the field. I also differentially heat treat them, so the edge is around 60 RC and the spine is softer making it very tough - it will bend before it will break. The only draw back with carbon steel is the rust. You must maintain it in the field like you would your gun. It will still turn colors and develop a darker patina. Some people like that, but some don't and therefore I also offer a couple of stainless steels. 440C is an older stainless steel, but is still an excellent steel when heat treated correctly. CPM S30v or CPM S35VN are powder steels that are virtually the same. The S35VN is an upgrade of the S30V. Crucible has added a touch of Niobium to improve toughness and reduce edge chipping. My guess is this will eventually replace CPM-S30V when the military and commercial contracts expire. It holds an edge very well, but requires some extra work to sharpen it. We triple temper all stainless steel and do a double cryogenic treatment to 100 degrees below zero for at least 6 hours on each freeze.
* I do a convex edge on all of the knives we sharpen unless the customer requests the flat edge. I have found the convex edge to hold an edge longer and to be less prone to chip and easier to sharpen. Check out www.barkriverknives for a good tutorial on convex sharpening.
* I do all the sheaths for the Bushcraft style knives. I do have a friend that I farm out some sheaths to if we start getting too far behind. However, the Bushcraft sheaths are fitted to each knife and that keeps me from getting a one size fits all sheath for them. I use English Bridle leather from Wickett & Craig leather company. It has an extra coating of waxes to help in wet conditions.

Invité
Invité

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Martin knives, une alternative à Bayley Knives Empty Re: Martin knives, une alternative à Bayley Knives

Message  cardoso5fr Dim 21 Nov 2010 - 20:25

Cela ressemble vachement au truc de Bear Grill Smile j'aime bien ceux de la 3° photo.
cardoso5fr
cardoso5fr

http://dremeltingpotes.free.fr

Martin knives, une alternative à Bayley Knives Empty Re: Martin knives, une alternative à Bayley Knives

Message  Invité Dim 21 Nov 2010 - 20:43

cardoso5fr a écrit:Cela ressemble vachement au truc de Bear Grill Smile
c'est là tout le sujet Ben! lol!

Invité
Invité

Message  Invité Dim 21 Nov 2010 - 23:54

LE MEME EN 9" POUR MOI MERCI Laughing Laughing Laughing

Invité
Invité

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé